Sunday, April 23, 2006

Kathryn's Oddity

I was sitting in the school cafeteria with my students, and I was sitting next to Alex who leaned over to me and said, “Let’s wave at Kathryn and watch her act strange.”
I was curious and asked, “What are you talkin’ about?”
“I’m gonna wave at her.”
I was confused, and inquired, “How are you gonna make her act strange by waving at her?”
“Haven’t you ever noticed what Kathyrn does when you wave at her,” he asked.
“No I haven’t.”
“Watch this.” Alex then proceeded to wave at Kathryn, who was sitting at another table. He waved until she saw him, and then Kathryn did something odd. She got a very unhappy and disgruntled look on her face, avoided his wave, looked away, and ducked under the table when Alex kept waving.
“She does that if you wave at her, Mr. R.”
This was odd. I thought maybe Alex had teased or bothered her, but I let it slide until a few days later when I waved at Kathryn and she did the same grimacing look, avoidance, ducking, looking away routine she had performed for Alex. All the kids in the class say that Kathryn doesn’t like it when you wave at her.
Kathryn won’t talk about it to me, so I dropped the subject. I respect her wishes and won’t talk with her about it anymore.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, something against waving. I remember feeling that kind of embarassment. I used to get really really mad when someone complimented a haircut. I was kind of ugly to the complimenter. Normal stuff I think, except for the fact I ended up in the hospital with seizures. Uh oh, Kathryn, I'm sorry...

Laura said...

Also, that funky wavy word that you have to copy to actually post a comment....now that I have a neurologist, really looks kind of Rorshack to me...