Monday, August 18, 2008

THE PERPLEXING CONVERSATION

I have blogged about children's communciation skills before. Here is another example of a bewildering conversation I had with a child. George Burns heard Gracie Allen say lots of things this silly, but it was always a joke. He played her straight man. This wasn't a joke; this child was serious.

One day after school, I called another teacher on the phone to see if she was in her room so I wouldn't have to walk all the way to her classroom only to discover she was somewhere else. Her son, Max, answered the phone. Here is the exact conversation:


"Hello?"

"Hello, Max, this is Mr. W. Is your mother there?"

"No, she's not."

"Do you know where she is?"

"No...........................but I know where she is at."

"Well, where is she...at?"

(Then there was a long pause.)






"I don't know."

No comments: