Sunday, July 18, 2010

Speak No "H"'s

I overheard a conversation between two fourth grade boys today. Actually, I eavesdropped. What they were saying was secretive and not meant for adult ears. I was in close enough proximity to overhear every word, yet astonishingly, they continued to talk, and it was about a topic of immense interest to me. I immediately stopped whatever inconsequential thing I was doing, perked up my ears, leaned in as inconspicuously as possible, and overheard this exchange:

"Yeah, I can trick 'em. I do it lots of times."

"I like to get sick. If you get sick early enough, they let you go to bed and rest."

"I'd rather be in the bed than do homework."

"Yeah, me too."

"I just write stuff down most of the time."

"Doesn't your teacher get mad?"

"Nah. She doesn't even look at our homework. I just write stuff on the paper. It doesn't matter what. She never grades it or nothin'."

"I got a trick for you that works every time, but don't tell anybody."

"I won't."

"This works every time! I never say a word that doesn't have an "h" in it. Homework starts with an "h," so I don't use any words that start with an "h." That way they don't even think about homework. They won't say nothin' about it."

"Wow! I'll try that."

No comments: