Saturday, October 09, 2010

WHAT'S REALLY IMPORTANT HERE?

I was teaching a math class on how to solve word problems that require taking a percentage off the price of a purchase in order to calculate the discounted price.

I have always used the names of students in my problems in order to personalize them, so for this class, I took Trisha's name and put her at one of the better stores in one of the better malls and devised a scenario:

I told the students, "Trisha goes to the Cottonwood Mall and wants to buy some new shoes at Dillards. They are expensive and cost $106.00, but she knows there is a 40% off sale. How much will the shoes cost her? Please find the cost and when you figure out the price, put your pencil down."

This class is my best math class, and shortly therafter all the students had put their pencils down. Everyone came up with the correct answer, $63.60.

"Very good. Now let's solve a problem that is a little harder."

Immediately, Charlotte raised her hand, started furiously waving it back and forth, and had a very concerned look on her face. Without me calling on her, she yelled out, "Wait a minute! Wait a minute!"

I called on her and said, "Yes, Charlotte? Do you have a question about that last problem?

"Yes!" she yelled. I want to know if Trisha bought the shoes!"


Where does she get this material?

No comments: