Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Great Children's Literature

I love good books and reading them. By the time I was sixteen, I had read almost every major league baseball player's biography I could get my hands on, every science fiction short story and novel I could find, Mark Twain, Mad Magazine, comic books, Edgar Rice Burroughs, etc.

Children's literature at an intermediate reading level is a booming business and is a genre that is not familiar to many adults. By the time your child is an independent reader, you don't read with them much. Therefore, a lot of intermediate level books for children may have escaped your attention.

I have read these over and over and enjoy them every time. Check 'em out. I consider each one a treasure, a gem, a classic.

Redwall
Where the Red Fern Grows
There is a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom
Harris and Me
Tuck Everlasting
Bridge to Terabithia
Old Yeller
Walk Two Moons
Because of Winn-Dixie
Shiloh
Hank the Cowdog (every one of 'em)
A Year Down Yonder

These are just a few of my favorites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To this day reading Shiloh to my then 6-year old daughter is one of my favorite memories. It is a book with a great story but in-depth moral issues that promote good discussions about lying, deceit and other moral dilemmas.

Surprisingly, my 10 year old 5th grader brought home The Outsiders last week. I thought maybe he wasn't old enough...but I also remembered that it was just a little "bad" enough that it would hold his interest. He loved it. I reread it and reloved it and posted a glowing review on my blog.

My point is, don't underestimate the power of the "forbidden" book as enticement for kids to read. Girls of my generation will remember sharing dog-eared copies of Forever by Judy Blume.

Walter said...

One of the books on my list, "Harris and Me," is forbidden. A year doesn't go by that some kid, excited (or upset) about what they have read in class, runs home, tells their parents, and the parents put the coitus on the reading. It's "forbidden" and great!