Monday, September 01, 2008

KEEPING SECRETS FROM KIDS

I think I am brutally honest with kids. However, there are some things I never tell a child.

I have been calling in sick lately, and I tell the kids that a substitute teacher will be here. Kids don't ask questions. Good.

I have some serious health issues. Eight years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. I had a radical prostatectomy, just a few years before prostatectomies were done orthroscopically. I went under the Big Knife, and it left a big scar. I joined the Prostate Cancer Support Group. They seemed concerned for me that I had been diagnosed at such a young age. The earlier you get it, the greater a chance it will get you.

My PSA is going up and no "hot spots" could be found in my abdominal area. Recently I have had a few incidents of fainting, accompanied by dizziness and nausea. My family physician sent me to a neurologist, who said that it could be the cancer has metastized itself in my brain. That seemed to him the most likely diagnosis. He has me undergoing an MRI and an EEG to see what's in my brain.

I thought of a joke at the time he said it. I could've said, "Well let's hope they find SOMETHING in my brain" (Yuk! Yuk!), or "After so many years of having people tell me I should have my head examined, when I finally do have it examined, I hope you don't find anything wrong." (Ha! Ha!)

However, I didn't joke about it. If they find something, it won't be good.

I haven't been talking to myself as much as to God Almighty. We'll see what's going to happen, what He's got going down.

Life is far out!

No comments: